Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Pilot RC 73" Sbach >

Pilot RC 73" Sbach

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pilot RC 73" Sbach

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pilot RC 73

Redwing looks nice, but I think the Pilot-RC has a bit more bling. Look at the photos closely; there is a difference. Still, I must admit I am jealous of the pipe tunnel.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:55 AM

ORIGINAL: boostoman

Im just finishing off my Sbach 73" with a DLE30 rear carb . i was wandering if you guys could help me with some queries i have:

- what is the optimal CG position for normal flight no 3D stuff?
- what angle of the defelctions are you guys using for normal flight. i need s starting point.
- i have a Xoar 18x8 prop on the plane , would 2,200 rpm idea keep the plane slow during landing?
- would a 3Amp BEC for the ignition be sufficant for 8,000-9,000rpm motor?

i would also apprecate if you guys could post your electronics layout pics, i would like to have a clean wire setup in the cockpit. so i will defnitly like to see some examples.

Thanks in advance for your help.</p>
anyone can help me with my questions.

also is a 1,600 mAh 2S lipo battery sufficant to run my servos for at lease 3 10 min flights?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 PM

Ive got a YS 110 in the nose of an old Funtana 90 that has an AUW of around 9-9.5 lbs (est)...The 110 definately has a strong pull and gives unlimited vertical to the Funtana. I know the 110 would weigh alot less than the DLE30 so im wondering if the Pilot 73" Sbach would work..

Would do you all think about this setup????
Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 AM
My Feedback: (324)

Ordered one from Chief as they are now in stock and shipping is cheaper.( $45 verses $69 from TBM) I dont like gas so
I am going to use a Moki/Mark 210 and Bisson Pitts muffler and a Xoar 20/10 prop,this combo gives 25lbs of thrust,a deep throaty sound, and will weigh about 48 oz. Should go like a rocket,I will need to use a 24 oz. tank (or more) as the Moki is a thirsty beast! I am excited to get it and start the build.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GeeBee-RCU

I dont like gas so I am going to use a Moki/Mark 210 and Bisson Pitts muffler and a Xoar 20/10 prop,this combo gives 25lbs of thrust,a deep throaty sound, and will weigh about 48 oz. Should go like a rocket,I will need to use a 24 oz. tank (or more) as the Moki is a thirsty beast! I am excited to get it and start the build.
I'll be very interested in seeing how that works out for you. I'm still not sure which engine to use for this plane; the 1.60 or the BGX 2.10. I'm getting the impression, from reading other threads, that this model, regardless of size or manufacturer, tends to be tail heavy. That would indicate the pound-heavier BGX... but I'm not sure the cowl will fit around the jug at the top.

Anyway.. I've got another project to get done before I start this Sbach... so take plenty pictures and keep us advised.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:13 AM
My Feedback: (324)

Just got the Moki temporarly on the Firewall (no blind nuts yet) the firewall will have to be modified since the Moki footprint is too big for the stock firewall. Stock firewall it very small and pretty thin ,But I will build it up.

When I get it mounted "permanent" I will post pic's of how I did it.

The Head sticks out of cowl but not much, Bisson muffler Barely fits,but it does! The Moki looks very big and bad with cowl and spinner installed.

Should 3-D with ease and accelerate up out of sight! worked till 2 am on it , have to get some sleep!!

I will post soon,I hope.

Steve

"Once you start something you should allways finish it!" (Dr. Phil)
Old 12-05-2010, 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: GeeBee-RCU

... the Moki footprint is too big for the stock firewall.
That's the same impression I got from a quick look with the OS BGX the day the kit arrived. This engine also has a square jug; I think the slope of the cowl is a bit too "steep" to cover the top of the jug when the engine is side-mounted.

I'm looking forward to your photos.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Gee... this thread sure died.

Guess most folks went with the 50cc...

Old 10-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Okay, I'm ready to start mine.

Has anyone used an OS 1.60?

It would appear that TBM no longer carries Pilot kits. Anyone know why?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Well, rats.

The OS 1.60 won't fit either. Oh, it can be done; with radical motor box surgery and hacking a BIG hole in the upper right cowl to clear the jug (for a side mount). I'm told one can get a Pitts type exhaust for an inverted mount that would solve the cowl problem... but the motor box is designed for a 30cc gas engine and simply isn't big enough for my OS aluminum mount.

Guess this one goes back against the wall in the corner, until I can find someone local who wants it. Too bad... its a beautifully done kit. That inverted exhaust and nylon beam mounts MIGHT work without a lot of modifications to the motor box; so perhaps not all is lost.[sm=idea.gif]

Re my other question, the guy at TBM said that "they" dropped Pilot kits in favor of Goldwing. He claimed not to know why. Not relevant, really... but curious.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My son gave me the this plane for my 60th bday back in May...purple and orange version, and he got it from Chief. Very sweet looking even though it sounds pretty gaudy with those two colors. I bought a DLE-30 for it, all the servos in the Summer. Just got a JTec pitts muffler for it. Should be assembling it this Winter. I was too busy flying and repairing planes to build it in the Summer. All I did was put the LG on, rudder and tailwheel when I first got it. This is my only plane by Pilot and it looks high quality. I do note some graphics on the bottom of one wing are really cockeyed. Might just eliminate them. Might put a helmet head in the cockpit. Gonna be a nice plane, my first 30cc gasser. I have a couple 50cc planes (Extra 330L and Ultimate 20-300), and a slew of glow planes that I still love. Would like to hear from others who have flown this plane with the DLE-30. Jon
Old 11-06-2011, 03:50 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I flew mine again today... About a little over a gallon now. Still a little rich on low with the dle but I love it!!!! Great flying plane!

John
Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Syssa 30cc that should work well with this airframe. I've read all the posts and didn't hear anyone say the plane had any bad tendencies?

So, I just might have to to see if BlackFriday will be having some good deals.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

My son gave me the this plane for my 60th bday back in May...purple and orange version, and he got it from Chief. Very sweet looking even though it sounds pretty gaudy with those two colors. I bought a DLE-30 for it, all the servos in the Summer. Just got a JTec pitts muffler for it. Should be assembling it this Winter. I was too busy flying and repairing planes to build it in the Summer. All I did was put the LG on, rudder and tailwheel when I first got it. This is my only plane by Pilot and it looks high quality. I do note some graphics on the bottom of one wing are really cockeyed. Might just eliminate them. Might put a helmet head in the cockpit. Gonna be a nice plane, my first 30cc gasser. I have a couple 50cc planes (Extra 330L and Ultimate 20-300), and a slew of glow planes that I still love. Would like to hear from others who have flown this plane with the DLE-30. Jon
Maukaonyx,

Ihave had this same sbach with the red/black scheme. i have been flyng the plane for over 1 year now with a DLE-30, 18x8 and 19x8 prop wow my plane is abit heavy due to the smoke system Iinstalled and a smoke fuel tank thats the same size as the gas tank. but my CGis great, Ihave the stock DLE exhaust on mine, but the pitts muffler will fitt really well. if you would like details pics let me know

Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 PM

The weather has turned sucky so I have been assembling the Sbach for a week. Posts with pics are more fun to me, so I have included a couple.

All the flight surfaces have servos and linkages hooked up. Engine is in and throttle control is done too. Today I had my son help me balance the plane by the wingtips to determine where to put my batteries. I put the 4.8v nimh behind the firewall and am going to put my two LiFe batts on each side of the fuel tank. This will make the plane balance about 1/4" behind the recommended point in the manual (rear of the wing tube). I'm running 1100mah LiFe batts each with its own switch. Might be overkill on 30cc but I just copied what I did on my 50cc Ultimate. Servos are the Tower 160's. Radio is the Airtronics SD-10G using the 8ch receiver. After I situate all the batteries, I can tie all the wires down. Then I will put the JTec muffler on and cut my cowl to fit. It's an enjoyable plane to assemble due to good quality of the Pilot ARF. Been using all the hardware too. Will hang a Xoar silver sword 18x8 on the DLE-30 to start. I appreciated that the holes for the switches were already cut out, as well as for the fuel dot. Jon
Old 12-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Just about there. Still need to put on the pants and paint and attach the pilot, and a couple minor things, but I'm pretty stoked about this plane. Jon
Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Thats a lot of batteries (and extra weight) for a 30cc IMHO
Old 12-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Good to hear, what would you use? I could simply remove one of the dual 1100mah batts I have on the receiver/servos. I believe that is only 3 ounces though. Pretty light insurance to me. Jon
Old 12-18-2011, 08:49 AM

I have the dle30 with the TBM pitts, I have one 2800 lipo for the ignition with its own regulator/switch(esky) and another 2800 with regulator/switch for the receiver and servos located either side of the fuel tank. With this set up I still have a 10 x 30 nut and bolt with 6 1inch washers to ballance correctly. Extra weight not a problem with this airframe. Flies fantastic! Mine has been flying for a year now with only 1 hard landing accident (when the bolt and washers broke free in a virtical manouver.......my ballance weight ended up in the tail ! The bucking bronco ride back to the runway took years off my life, I landed tail first followed by a hard touch down on the mains which pushed the gear mounts up an inch or so ,easily repaired overnight flying again the next morning) Great airframe and engine.

chris.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

My 50cc planes use 1 2300 Mah A123 with a feed to the reciever through a switch and a feed to the ignition through a switch, an RC XCEL optical kill, and a drop down diode to step down to a safe voltage for the ignition.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 PM

Had fun doing the wheel pants and pilot today! I have to recheck everything, but I think it's done!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM

Did you have to do anything special to get the cowl and the spinner to line up like that? My spinner is a little bit high.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM

No, I just followed the manual, and the spinner came out centered on the cowl. Just lucky I guess? Jon
Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

No, I just followed the manual, and the spinner came out centered on the cowl. Just lucky I guess? Jon
Yeah, me too. I'm curious if my cowl ring is a little off. Guess I'll pull the cowl off tonight to make sure things are lined up correctly. How does this color scheme look on cloudy days? I've got a small orange 41" Edge 540 that has great visibility even on cloudy days.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 PM

Has anyone weighed their Sbach? I'm around 12 lbs but I do have a canister muffler, 2 Rx batteries, and a separate ignition battery. Wing loading is around 27.5oz which is pretty high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.